Thursday, January 15, 2009

Great News - New Turn in the Road

Well we saw 2 doctors today and the news is great and there is a lot that is going to happen in the next few weeks...

We saw Dr. Black first and he has released us back to Dr. Schuette, Harry's pulmonologist. Yes that means no additional chemotherapy for now. Before I get into what's next - let me tell you where we are.

The disease in Harry's lymphnodes is virtually gone. Both tumors in his lung have been reduced by half or more. The is still cancerous activity in those tumors but it has reclined also by more than half. They way they know this is by how the tumor processes the sugars used in the PET Scan - It has reduced from a 7 to a 4. They are all seeing something in the scan that tells them his lungs still have some radiation pneumonitis and as we all have discovered - Harry heals but it seems to take a really long time. They have put Harry back on steroids to heal this problem.

Now for Dr. Schuette. He was the first doctor we saw through all of this and after Harry's diagnosis he was the one who told me that he would not talk prognosis until we could not talk remission or cure. He is a very very wise man. He was also there for me on the day I fell apart - he listen to me cry over the phone and assured me things were going to be ok and then visited Harry on his own time without pay to reassure Harry that things were going well. He's quite a doctor. If you ever are in need of a pulmonologist -Southern Lung and Dr. Matthew Schuette are who I would recommend. After reading the PET scan - he recommended that it was time now to see a Cardiothoraic Surgeon. Yes surgeon. The disease has been diminished enough for surgery to remove the cancer so Harry can be cancer free and not in remission. In order to refer us Harry had to have a lung capacity tests -they did those and he passed with flying colors. The idea will be to remove the upper left lung lobe. Because he had a capacity of 2200 total and you only need 800 to survive, they are scheduling an appointment for him with a Dr. Brothers. Dr. Schuette says that if he personally had to have lung surgery - this is who he would want doing surgery. Dr. Brother's tries to do the surgery with a scope only making it a minimally invasive surgery and only opens up the chest if necessary.

So they are scheduling the appointment for the week of the 26th(when I get back from Florida). Dr. Schuette says Dr. Brother's is very aggressive - so I can see this going quickly. I have a couple of more shows already scheduled - so I am going to ask if at all possible that they schedule the surgery right after the 13th of February.

I cam honestly tell you that in August - I never thought I would be writing this post. Stage 3b is so close to terminal. Today Dr. SChuette says that because of the tumors he would stage him 2a-3a. This truly has been a miracle. They never said anything but I don't think any of us expected this amazing of a response.

The prayers and Harry's determination have gotten him through. So please please - keep praying for us.

The next week will be light on posts - as I am out of town but as soon as I know when we are going to see the surgeon - I will let you know.

Thank you for your support - neither of us could or would have made it without all of you behind us.

Love
Mona & Harry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harry and Mona,

What a bright light! Harry, you are such a fighter...it is evident in this outstanding news. And, Mona, you are truly an amazing fighter, too! You two are such a blessing to all of us who know you.

Absolutely outstanding news!

Love,

The Russells

Anonymous said...

Keep fighting Harry. The Lord is in your corner man.

Art

Dray said...

Did someone tell Harry the tumors were liberal or something? It sure sounds like he's kicking the crap out of them! :)

It's always great to hear good news. My mother will be glad to hear this.

We'll keep praying for yall!